CATALOGUE DESCRIPTION One of two pages in the collection from a manuscript of the Gandavyuha, a Mahayana Buddhist text narrating the pilgrimage of Sudhana. The text is in Sanskrit. The image on this page represents an unidentified deity teaching Sudhana. The illustration painted on a blue background at the center of the leaf depicts a seated Bodhisattva holding a text in his left hand lectures to a kneeling worshiper. Text on reverse. Two holes for threading pages divide text into three sections (AGP).
- Title : Folio from a Gandavyuha Manuscript
- Year : 12th century
- Classification : Manuscripts
- Medium : Colours on palm leaf
- Dimension : 2 x 21 5/8 in.
- Accession No : 86.227.136
- Country/ Geo-location : Nepal
- Period : Pala Period
- Museum : Brooklyn Museum
- Credit Line : Gift of the Ernest Erickson Foundation, Inc.
- Status : This item is not on view
- COLLECTIONS : Asian Art
- CAPTION : Folio from a Gandavyuha Manuscript, 12th century. Colors on palm leaf, 2 x 21 5/8 in. Brooklyn Museum, Gift of the Ernest Erickson Foundation, Inc., 86.227.136 (Photo: Brooklyn Museum, 86.227.136_PS2.jpg)
- IMAGE : overall, 86.227.136_PS2.jpg. Brooklyn Museum photograph, 2011